“full scape” or “foolscap” paper?

Printing paper measuring 13.5 inches by 17 inches is usually called “foolscap” paper and not “full scape” paper. The first syllable is pronounced like the word “fools” and the second like the word “cap”. The main stress is on the first syllable. The paper is called “foolscap” because there was a time when paper was watermarked with a fool’s cap — i.e. a cap worn by a court jester. According to some people, it was Oliver Cromwell who decided to put this design on paper. It was to replace symbol of the royal crown which had appeared earlier. Many people however dismiss this idea.

The Hindu- ‘Know Your English’ Series, October 07, 2003

Check out my new initiative for English Lovers- www.exploreabc.com

Join  Our New Facebook Club- www.facebook.com/exploreabc



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s